Thursday, June 25, 2009

Willow Creek, Alaska


Amy and I used to travel to Alaska during the summer months and work different jobs in the area between school years. That time frame was typically from the first of May to the end of August. We have now lived in Alaska for approximately seven months, which is by far the longest stretch for us, but it still feels like any day now we are going to have to pack our things and head back to Utah. It just feels like we are on another temporary summer trip and it will be coming to an end soon.

There are some things that assist me in realizing that we are permanently living here is that I am starting to get out and do things that are new to me and see parts of Alaska that I never had time to when we were just here in the summer. One of those is some fishing and camping trips that we've never done before.One such trip was a recent float down Willow Creek here in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. A buddy here has a raft that he recently purchased and has started floating the local rivers as often as possible. We fished for rainbows and used fly rods with some technique's that I have never used before, but it was quite fun and we caught a few fish. I lost probably twenty dollars in fly's but it was pretty fun and that loss should decrease as we go more and get used to the rods.

No comments: